Gossip Lanka



Sri Lankan Foreign Secretary Karunaratne Amunugama has confirmed that no Sri Lankans were among the injured in the Mahabodhi temple blasts in India.

He stated that the Sri Lankan High Commission in New Delhi is handling matters.

At least two persons have reportedly been injured in multiple blasts outside the Mahabodhi temple in Bihar’s Bodhgaya district this morning.


Media reports stated that the injured, reportedly a Buddhist monk and a pilgrim, have been rushed to a hospital with splinter injuries.

According to reports, five blasts took place outside the world famous temple at around 5am on Sunday.

Initial reports said the blasts were of low-intensity and there has been no damage to the temple shrine.

The reports also suggest that the explosions were caused by crude bombs which were kept in a bag at a particular point inside the temple complex.

The temple premises have been cordoned off. Reports say security has been beefed up in and around other religious sites of the district.

Thousands of people from Sri Lanka visit Bodh Gaya on pilgrimage, the site where Lord Buddha is said to have attained enlightenment.

UPDATE: Meanwhile the Government Information Department stated that President Mahinda Rajapaksa, while expressing his shock over the blasts, has directed the Sri Lankan High Commissioner in India to look into the matter.

Initial reports suggest that the target of the bombings was neither Buddhists nor Sri Lankan pilgrims, the Sri Lankan High Commission in New Delhi was quoted as saying.

Earlier in the year, the offices of the Mahabodhi Society, the administrative body associated with Bodh Gaya based in Chennai, came under attack by suspected Tamil elements.